The position is responsible for the safe operation of burr guns, hand tools, and other bench equipment to clean and remove welds, nicks, and burrs from cast parts.
Functions & Responsibilities:
- Under direct supervision, operates light bench equipment to clean and remove welds, burrs and nicks, excess metal and gates from parts
- Learns specified codes specific to manufacturing process
- Selects and mounts proper tool in burr gun. Also determines what will be removed by belt cleanup. Other equipment that may be used i.e. caliper, micrometer
- Learns to use measuring equipment i.e. caliper, micrometer
- Completes paperwork on traveler as required, submits to designated person for checking
- May transport finished pieces to next operation
- Instructions are provided on job assignments and equipment
- Follows established housekeeping and safety practices to maintain the quality of the work environment
- Performs related work requiring equal or lesser skill as directed
- Requires the ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions normally acquired by completion of high school of GED
- Minimum three months of deburring or grinding experience preferred to become familiar with basic foundry procedure.
- Must pass a basic math, reading comprehension and measurements test (i.e. calipers and micrometers)
- Computer skills: Basic Excel spreadsheets, data entry. Clear legible handwriting
- Positive ‘Can-Do’ attitude; a team player
- Works well with others and communicates effectively in a very diverse workforce
- Focus on results, timely completion, quality, accuracy and precision; Attention to detail – precision oriented
- Prior work with grinders or manipulation of metal; requiring hand-eye coordination, fine finger dexterity.
- Able to lift, carry, push, pull 15-25# frequently, 25-80# on occasion
- Frequent sitting, standing; walking on uneven surfaces; climbing stairs; Occasional indoors/outdoors
- Exposure to hot/cold, inside/outside, fumes, dust, chemicals, allergens