Lead Controls Engineer
Cleveland, OH | Direct Hire
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
This position is responsible and accountable for the design, implementation and support of control system projects from their initial planning and conceptual stage through design, implementation, successful start-up, and acceptance by operating management.
Direct responsibility with limited guidance to perform the following tasks:
- Designs and implements new control systems for capital projects
- Enhances and supports existing control systems installed by outside engineering firms and company personnel. 24x7 support may be required for critical situations.
- Develops design specifications and user documentation for control system capital projects
- Coordinates the inputs of the project team (1-6 people from various departments) in the design and implementation of control system projects
- Budget responsibility on assigned projects (minor to $2.0 MM)
- Specify equipment, obtain cost estimates, generate bill of materials and expedite purchasing and fabrication of electrical controls equipment
- Lead contractors on project assignments
- Responsible for control system commissioning through site acceptance
- Develops control system documentation and reference material for site operations and technical support personnel
- Drive continuous improvement through enhancements to existing control software and hardware systems
- Develop and implement innovative control solutions to increase business value
- Train and mentor various resources in controls/automation (peers, interns/co-ops, external contractors, site engineers, instrument technicians)
- Provide technical support for root cause analysis related to control system issues and failures
Additional Areas of Focus:
- Relentless safety focus including improving process safety through process control/automation
- Accountable for control system specification, estimates and actual cost expended on assigned control system project
- Makes project decisions, with Project Manager's support, concerning control system aspects which affect cost, timing, and quality
- Creates project commissioning plan and coordinates required resources from engineering, maintenance, operations, and outside contractors
- Responsible for software specification, application design, and decisions impacting reliability of control system
- Defines control system scope of work and deliverables with input from project team
- Approves vendor supplied drawings for construction
- Identifies and solves complex problems, develops new equipment/processes and improves existing equipment /processes
- Plans, schedules, executes work, analyzes and applies results in solution of complex problems. Can determine probability of success.
- Demonstrates business awareness in all interactions. Proficient in documenting and communicating with others. Responsible for planning/execution of projects. Ability to communicate at various levels of organization.
- Professionally applies technical expertise, problem solving, and decision-making skills. Develops own project plans and determines resource requirements.
- Shows initiative in resolving issues and problems with solutions for internal/external customers. Identifies and implements changes in engineering approaches to achieve product/process goals. Develops and implements new creative process concepts that will lead to improve cost control, productivity, or improved quality
- Fully understands and utilizes processes by which results are produced. Consistently produces quality work. Strives for improvements in all aspects of the work
- Independently creates full project plans, assessments, and presentations for project customers
- Takes responsibility for ensuring safe operating procedures
- Strong leadership, communication, and organization skills.
- Assist with the design and specification of process instrumentation including but not limited to temperature, pressure, level, flow, and valves
- Assist with development of internal company standards on controls/automation
FORMAL EDUCATION: (GENERALLY, IF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE IS ACCEPTABLE, THE CANDIDATE MUST HAVE THREE YEARS OF WORK EXPERIENCE FOR EVERY ONE YEAR OF COLLEGE EDUCATION REQUIRED)
- BA or BS in Engineering or related field
- BS in Chemical, Mechanical, Industrial, or Electrical Engineering
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- 10 years’ experience in controls engineering or related field. Ability to demonstrate roles with increasing responsibility.
- Concurrently leads multiple significant project design and execution; significant project defined as value of $2 M or greater.
- Developed 5 year strategic plans with track record of successful implementation.
- Knowledge of chemical batch manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of ISA S88 standard for batch control
- Lean six sigma experience or belt certification
- Proven Controls Engineering skills and results
- Knowledge of electrical systems including compliance with NEC and other applicable codes
- Compose Functional Specifications and approve corresponding vendor bids.
- AutoCAD, RsLogix 5000, RsFactoryTalk Studio Edition, MS Visio, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Project
- Portfolio and project management.
- Certified with Continuous Improvement tools; 6 Sigma, Lean, and Root Cause Analysis.
- Knowledge of industry RAGAGEP for industrial automation (ISA, IEC, PIP)
- Knowledge of OSHA Process Safety Management 1910.119
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 30%